Kishtwar cloudburst: Flash floods in Kashmir kill 46

The cloudburst in Kishtwar's Chasoti village, which caused flash floods, has killed 46 people so far. While the rescue teams are carrying out operations, 120 people have been rescued and many are still feared missing.

Kishtwar cloudburst: Flash floods in Kashmir kill 46

The cloudburst has claimed 46 lives so far, with many people feared missing

Share:

 

Highlights

  • The death toll in Chasoti village in Kishtwar district, Jammu and Kashmir, after flash floods occurred due to a cloudburst has risen to 46
  • While the rescue operations are underway, many people are still feared missing
  • The annual pilgrimage to the Machail Mata temple stands suspended

A massive cloudburst that hit Jammu and Kashmir's Chasoti village in Kishtwar district on Wednesday, causing flash floods, has claimed 46 lives so far. Several bodies have been recovered, while many are still feared missing. The death toll is expected to rise further. 

Among those killed, most of them are pilgrims who had gathered for the annual pilgrimage to the Machail Mata temple. The disaster took place between 12 noon and 1 pm in Chasoti, which is the last motorable point to the Machail Mata temple. 

According to the officials, over 120 people have been rescued, including two CISF personnel. The injured are being treated in the nearby hospitals. The flash floods have caused widespread destruction to property as well, with multiple structures such as shops, security post affected. 

As of now, the Machail Mata Yatra, which began on July 25 and was to conclude on September 5, stands suspended. 

 

 

One of the survivors, while recalling the experience of the flash floods, said that it felt like "a bomb exploding", with people shouting, "Run, run, run." 

The rescue operations are still underway, with the Army, NDRF, SDRF, Police, and volunteers carrying out large-scale efforts. Taking to X, the Indian Army's White Knight Corps said, "In the aftermath of a cloudburst at Chasoti village, Kishtwar, troops of White Knight Corps, swiftly mobilised for rescue and relief operations. Efforts are centered on safeguarding lives and aiding survivors. Search for the missing continues. Relief stores, medical teams, and rescue gear rushed to the site. We serve, we protect." 

Home Minister Amit Shah also took cognisance of the situation, briefed by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah. The CM had said that all available resources from within and outside Jammu and Kashmir were being mobilised for rescue and relief efforts. Further adding that the Government will release all the information as and when available. 

Due to the tragic incident, the Jammu and Kashmir Government has cancelled all cultural programmes and events scheduled for Independence Day in the region. 

Join NewsTrack Whatsapp group
Related News