"India is ready for it, we won't compromise", says PM Modi after Trump's 50% tariff hit

On the occasion of the birth anniversary of legendary scientist, MS Swaminathan, PM Modi emphasized prioritizing farmers' interests. He stated that India will never compromise on it, even if it faces any economic consequences.

PM Modi emphasized India's commitment to farmers' interests (Image source: PMO)

Share:

 

Highlights

  • Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed an event at the MS Swaminathan Centenary International Conference in New Delhi on the scientist's birth anniversary
  • While referring to the tariff hikes, PM Modi said that the interests of our farmers is the top priority for India, and it will never compromise with it
  • PM gave assurance, "despite facing any economic consequences"

As Donald Trump hikes tariffs with an additional 25%, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday stated that India will not compromise with the interests of its farmers, even if it is dealing with any economic consequences. 

While speaking at the MS Swaminathan Centenary International Conference in New Delhi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, "For us, the interests of our farmers are a top priority. India will never compromise on the interests of farmers, fishermen, and dairy farmers. I know we will have to pay a heavy price for it, and I am ready for it. India is ready for it." 

During the event, PM Modi also released a commemorative stamp and coin in the name of the legendary scientist, MS Swaminathan, who is known as the "Father of the Green Revolution." 

The Prime Minister took to his official X account to give the message loud and clear after US President's constant tariff threats, as India continues to purchase Russian oil and other military equipment. Under the fresh executive order signed by Donald Trump, the total tariff count on Indian goods has increased to 50%, which includes agricultural products also. 

 

 

During the trade negotiations till now, US was eyeing a larger access to India's agricultural market, especially for soybeans, corn, and cotton. According to ANI, India has so far resisted opening the agricultural sector and dairy products due to concerns over domestic livelihoods and the potential impact on farmers. 

In the order issued by the White House, Donald Trump had cited national security and foreign policy concerns, along with other trade laws, for the tariff hike. He claimed that India's import of Russian crude oil, directly or indirectly, poses an "unusual and extraordinary threat" to America. 

The initial duty is coming into effect from today, August 7, while the additional tariff will be imposed 21 days later. It applies to all the goods imported to USA, except for those already in transit and those which meet specific exemptions. 

The executive order allows for modifications based on changing circumstances. 

Join NewsTrack Whatsapp group
Related News